Saturday, January 9, 2010

A day in Michel Hacala’s home, renowned French Basque artist



The first time I stumbled on Michel Hacala’ paintings was in an old Basque farm in the village of Sare in 2004, the former hiding place for a number of Spanish refugees during the civil war in the late 1930s. In one of the rooms is a well known mural by a now deceased but renowned painter; I had heard about a temporary exhibit happening there, for Michel Hacala’s paintings, an artist I knew nothing about. The large oil formats made a huge impact on me: simple life in the Basque country was captured with poetry, sailors at work or resting combined with strong oceans backgrounds mixed intense shades of blue. That art work crystalized the warm feelings and nostalgia I felt for my region of birth, and its people. That Summer of 2004 I penciled in the name of the artist, with the desire to find out more about him and the dream of owning one of his works one day.


Over the last 5 years, I came across Michel Hacala’s work in other occasions and places, his paintings, his sculptures, his mosaics and every time his artistic language spoke to me. I had to meet with him which I ended up doing in 2007 at his house. It was indeed a privilege to go through his studio, a simple garage set in beautiful natural surroundings. Now two years later, I plan to incorporate Michel Hacala’ s artwork into the branding of Expérience Authentique as it captures so well the appeal of life in that French Basque region. I also plan to give exposure to Michel Hacala’s work in North America as I believe the poetry of his work will touch others in this continent like it has in Europe.

Michel ‘s family treated me to some warm hospitality on a cold December day in their amazing house, I got to know more of his work, his motivations, his interests and I now hope to share them in a respectful manner in North America. Later in 2010 I will have a section on the Expérience Authentique web site dedicated to his work. For now here are a couple of appetizers.